ESPN has had an app, the ESPN Hub, in the Windows Phone Store for a couple of years now but it hasn’t seen many updates. Today however the sports broadcasting company made up for it in spades. The new ESPN App is essentially a relaunch of the ESPN Hub and it is a major update to this app. The new ESPN app, version 18.104.22.1681 for those keeping score at home, has a completely new look and feel over the old ESPN Hub app and it brings sports to you front-and-center with things like real time updates, scores and highlights from all the major sports leagues and you can stream ESPN radio for free from the app.
Best of all, this new app is free and available right now in the Store.
The Release Notes for the ESPN App gives you an idea of just how much you can do with this new app:
- Fast access scores and highlights from MLB, NFL, College Football, NBA, College Basketball, MLS, and more.
- Watch video highlights of your favorite games and easily share on Facebook, Twitter, Email and SMS.
- Check out the “NOW” pivots for real-time updates and commentary. NOW combines up-to-the-minute ESPN updates on any sport or team with the freshest photos, videos and social media content from around the sports universe.
- Not near a TV? Watch any event on ESPN simply by tapping on the On-Air tab.
- Stream live ESPN Radio for free — just tap on the On-Air tab and hit “Play”.
- ESPN Hub is now the ESPN App
- Favorites: Your team news and scores in an instant.
- Clubhouses: Content for every team and every league under the sun.
- ESPN Now: The only place to follow real-time updates and commentary on the latest sports news.
- On-Air: Watch ESPN from the app, and listen to live radio with a single tap.
- Inbox: A dedicated home for personalized content about your favorite teams.
I’ve loaded up the new ESPN app on my Lumia 635 this morning and it is a breath of fresh air when it comes to sports apps for the platform. The performance is snappy and it is loaded with information and content regardless of what sport or team you want to track.