August, the company behind some of the best smart locks on the market, have announced a deeper, more direct integration with Google Assistant. Now owners of the smart locks will be able to directly interact with them from Assistant.
To be clear, August has worked with Google Assistant for about a year ago and to access your locks, you had to say, “Hey Google, talk to August”. Now you can simply say, “Hey Google, is the front door locked?” and Assistant will interact with your August lock directly to determine if it is locked or not.
This deeper integration will simply improve the speed by which you can access your August lock and information about it. Commands include the ability to see if your door is locked or unlocked and, if you have an August Pro lock, you can determine if the door in question is open or closed.
In order for all of this to work, you have to have your lock connected to your network via the August Wi-Fi bridge or the August camera. Second, you will need to setup Google Assistant to access your lock. This is done in the Google Assistant app using the following steps:
- Launch and log into the Google Assistant app
- Tap the blue drawer icon in the upper right corner
- Select Settings > Home Control
- Tap the plus sign icon in the bottom right corner to Add devices
- Select August Home
- Sign in with your August account information to see your August lock(s) listed in Google Assistant’s Devices section
August smart locks are available from a wide range of retailers including Amazon. Prices start at $144.