YouTube is going into the premium content game. Well, to be fair, they were kind of already there but they are getting legit with the announcement of YouTube Red. The new ad-free, $9.99 per month YouTube Red will be officially launched next Wednesday, October 28, 2015 and will bring with it the ability to no only enjoy YouTube Red ad-free but also will allow you to download content for viewing offline later.
YouTube Red is the experience fans have been asking for. For just $9.99 a month, you’ll be able to enjoy videos across all of YouTube without ads, save videos to watch offline on your phone or tablet and play videos in the background.
For those of you in the United States, you can try YouTube Red free for 30 days when it launches. Here is the really good news: If you are a Google Play Music Unlimited subscriber, you get YouTube Red subscription included. So essentially you get both for $9.99 per month.
Beginning next year, YouTube Red will start offering original content from YouTube’s biggest and well known creators. The list is extensive now but there will be more to come according to the
blog post from YouTube. Here is a sample of what you can expect.
- Scare PewDiePie: In this reality-adventure series from the creator and executive producers of The Walking Dead at Skybound Entertainment and Maker Studios, experience thrills, chills and laughter asPewDiePie encounters terrifying situations inspired by his favorite video games.
- Sing It!: From Fine Brothers Entertainment and Mandeville Films comes SING IT!, a scripted comedy that lovingly satirizes the reality singing competitions that have become a centerpiece of pop culture.
- Lazer Team: In this feature-length action-comedy from Rooster Teeth and Fullscreen Films, four small-town losers stumble upon an alien ship carrying a mysterious cargo, leading to a battle to save Earth from an all-powerful enemy.
- A Trip to Unicorn Island: From the team at Astronauts Wanted, this feature-length movie gives fans an extraordinary look inside the life and journey of Lilly Singh as she embarks on a challenging 26-city global tour where she has to remember to practice what she preaches: happiness is the only thing worth fighting for.
- Untitled Joey Graceffa project: In this all-new reality adventure series, Joey Graceffa brings together an ensemble of top YouTubers for a murder mystery they’ll never forget. They’ll form alliances to survive, but little do they know that most won’t make it out alive.
- 360 Project from MatPat of Game Theory: YouTube educator and pop culture expert MatPat fromThe Game Theorists invites the audience to come along for the ride in an innovative new series and 360 VR experience. In each episode Matt explores the real-life science behind popular video games by throwing gamers into the high-stakes scenarios they play through every day, from water jetpacks to haunted pizzerias.
It will be interesting to see how YouTube does with this new premium service but with it being bundled in with Google Play Music, it is a pretty good deal overall. You can get more information and details on the YouTube Red website.