The Chrome team at Google have just posted an updated build of Chrome OS, bringing with it several improvements, fixes and changes. The updated build has been released to the stable channel and it is build 46.0.2490.71 (Platform version: 7390.59.0) for those keeping score at home. In the update there are the normal stability, security and performance improvements which are pretty granular in nature. However, with this build, the Chrome OS team have added some new features and made other improvements that will be visible to most users on their Chromebooks or other Chrome OS-based devices.
In short, here are the updates that are in this build of Chrome OS that are of note:
- Improved Wi-Fi scanning indicator
- Chrome OS Gallery overhauled to follow material design language
- Search over Drive right from the Chrome OS Launcher
- Offers users to enable Data Saver when on metered connections
- Improved USB-C charging settings
- Improved Hangouts CPU usage on Intel devices
The improved Wi-Fi scanner, Gallery overhaul and Search of Drive feature will likely be the biggest ones that impact the most users. Likewise if you are on a metered connection, Data Saver is going to be a bit handy for you too.
The update to Chrome OS will be rolling out to devices over the course of the next few days. There are no noted exceptions to this build so every device running Chrome OS should see it eventually.