Virtual Reality is coming to this year’s Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition. The company’s annual swimsuit edition hits newsstands this week but if you want to have a VR experience, you can do it with the new app that is in the Google Play Store. The free app gives you access to a handful of free videos, all in 360-degree VR, with additional content available for purchase in the app. If you are already a subscriber to Sports Illustrated, you can get access to that content for free as part of your subscription.
The app is designed for Google Cardboard and if you don’t have a viewer, the newsstand version of the magazine will come with a Cardboard-like viewer included. All you will need to do is download the app.
Here are the highlights from the Release Notes for the app:
• Swimsuit 2016: Stunning high-resolution photos and video from exotic island locations around the world including Ronda Rousey in body paint
• Swim Daily: The ultimate source for SI Swimsuit model news, exclusive galleries and fresh content every day
• The Collection: A treasure trove of archival Swimsuit content featuring Kate Upton, Emily Ratajkowski, Anne V and more. The Collection will continue to expand with regularly scheduled releases
• Virtual Reality: Step onto the set of an SI Swimsuit photo shoot. Experience it in 360-degrees. You’ll never want to go back to reality
• Premium Content: Upgrade for even more photos, video and virtual reality content
Virtual Reality is expected to exponentially jump in use over the course of the next 12 months and with the ability for print magazines to offer VR content like this, it will give them an edge they have lost in this digital media world.