For Windows Insiders on the Fast Ring for Windows 10, there is a new update rolling out to you that will be the RTM for the upcoming Fall Creators Update. Build 16299.15 is rolling out to the ring now with Build 16299 rolling out to those in the Slow Ring. That build released to the Fast Ring just last week so things are picking up in pace for the release.
As a reminder, the Fall Creators Update is scheduled to be released on October 17th.
The .15 release is fundamentally a bug fix release and adding final touches to the update. This will be the last update that testers receive as any bugs found in this build will be patched through the normal Windows Update process via cumulative updates and patches.
For those that don’t recall, the Fall Creators Update will be bringing a number of big changes to Windows 10. This includes:
- Timeline (allows you to go back to files, apps and sites from months ago)
- Work Continuation through Cortana across devices
- OneDrive Files On-Demand (think the old placeholders of the past)
- Story Remix (an updated Movie Maker app)
- AR and VR functionalities and support for Mix Reality headsets and controllers.
You can get all the details on the update at the Microsoft site.
Remember that anyone can join the Windows Insiders Program. From your Windows 10 PC, go to Settings>Update & Security>Windows Insiders Program. Just remember that you are testing beta software, especially in the Fast Ring, so don’t join unless you can test and can live the occasional bug or something not working.