NVIDIA has released a significant update to their Android TV device, the NVIDIA SHIELD. What the company is calling Experience 6.3 brings a lot of features and fixes to the device. For US owners, the headliner is support for Nest Cameras.
Now through your SHIELD, which already has Google Assistant built-in, you can ask the device to show you various Nest cameras that you have throughout your house and it will be displayed on your television. There is also improved Google Assistant support with the NVIDIA SHIELD now able to control over 1000 devices through Assistant.
This update also brings several improvements to apps and some new ones depending on where you are in the world. Generally, the PLEX and VLC apps have been improved while Sirius XM and Tidal are new apps that are available to owners. In the US, Cartoon Network, VH1, and Lego TV have been added as available channels.
Here is the complete rundown of what is new in Experience 6.3:
New Features and Apps to Try on SHIELD
-PLEX: Automatically remove DVR recorded shows
-VLC: Adds 360 video and PIP functionality
-New Apps: Sirius XM, Tidal
-NEST: View your Nest Cameras on SHIELD using Google Assistant. Say “Show me my front door camera”
-Smart Home: Control over 1000 devices with Google Assistant
-New Apps: Cartoon Network, VH1, and Lego TV
-New Apps: Eurosport
-New Apps: TV NOW PLUS
-New Apps: Moviestar+
• The latest monthly Android security updates including mitigations for “Spectre” (not known to be vulnerable to “Meltdown”). See NVIDIA Product Security Page for more details:
• Improves reporting for low battery status for SHIELD Accessories
• Adds new USB compatibility mode for users with attached USB storage/accessories to improve Bluetooth/wireless performance (Settings > System).
• Support for playback of YUV 8 bit BT 2020 videos
• Adds developer option for rooted systems to always prefer full system upgrades – recommend for rooted systems
• SHIELD controller (2017) upgrade to version 1.18
• SHIELD remote (2017) upgrade to version 1.28
• SHIELD remote w/ headphone jack upgrade to version 1.22
– Firmware update for SHIELD remote (rechargeable) to resolve recharging issues. If update fails, connect remote to charging cable and hold Home + Back + Voice Search buttons until LED flashes (~20 seconds)
If you have a NVIDIA SHIELD, you should check for the update which started rolling out yesterday.