A week later than expected, the update to Chrome 65 for the Chrome OS Stable Channel has been released. The update brings a number of new features and enhancements to the platform as well as some key security updates.
The new build is 65.0.3325.167 (Platform version: 10323.58.0/1) for those keeping score at home and is available to a number of devices. Generally speaking, if your device can run Android apps, you won’t get updated to this build but rather will get updated in a subsequent update in another week or two. That has been the trend for several months now in Chrome OS.
This build has a laundry list of new features and enhancements that come with it. Some of the features are aimed at business while others are for everyone. For example, local files now show up in the Launcher search results, short video recordings are now support as your profile picture, MIDI API support for Android apps running on Chrome OS, and expanded unzipping support within the Files app for files hosted on Google Drive. Here is the complete rundown of new features or enhancements:
- Enterprise policy for keeping account sign-in consistent between browser and device
- Local files now available in Launcher search results
- Kiosk mode now supports mix mode for external displays, extended and mirroring mode simultaneously
- Automatic Re-Enrollment for managed devices
- Select-to-Speak word highlighting and additional options
- Support device-wide certificates in SAML SSO sign-in
- ARC++ WM resize shadow and drag magnetization
- MIDI API support for Android apps running on Chrome OS
- Short video recording for profile pictures
- Advanced options screen for tablet setup
- Expanded unzipping support within Files app for files hosted on Drive
- New setting for more accurate timezone detection
From a security perspective, there are two important fixes that address Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities:
- Intel devices on 3.14 kernels received the KPTI mitigation against Meltdown with Chrome OS 65.
- All Intel devices received the Retpoline mitigation against Spectre variant 2 with Chrome OS 65.
As mentioned, it will be a few weeks before everyone gets this update, especially those of us who are running Chromebooks that can run Android apps. But when you get it, there are a lot of great new features in this build of Chrome OS.