It has been a couple of months since the last Age of Empires Castle Siege update but today Microsoft Studios made up for lost time. Today they have issued an update for the popular tower-defense style game for both Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1. The update, version 18.104.22.168 is available now in their respective Windows and Windows Phone Stores and both are a hefty update with a lot of new features and a boatload of bug fixes.
The biggest update in this new version is the ability to progress to Age 9 and can purchase Age 9 upgrades for units and buildings. This also includes a new Musket Tower that you can only get in Age 9. In Age 4 there is a new Watch Signal that is available for purchase as well as new research techs that are available. In Age 7 you can now recruit grenadiers for the Siege Workshop while at any
Age users can store decorations in the Market inventory and withdraw stored items at no cost. Also, for those who have alliances, you can donate squads to other alliance members.
As for the fixes in this update, there are a lot. Here is the rundown from the Release Notes
- Fixed several crashes and soft locks
- Players will now receive a message when they are about to become openly attackable.
- Fixed players seeing a variable amount of scouting time depending on how long it took to load the empire
- Fixed a bug where revenge attacking a player would extend the peace treaty of the defender
- Hermann von Salza’s Shield Wall will now only affect soldiers on foot, as stated in the description.
- Squads will now select a new, nearby target when directed to an arbitrary location instead of returning to their previously auto-selected target
- Chat feature polish
- UI Polish
If you play Age of Empires Castle Siege you will want to make sure you get this update even if you aren’t near getting to Age 9 just for the bug fixes and other improvements. One thing you will need to keep in mind is that on the Windows Phone update you will need to get it over WiFi. The update is 178MB big.