A new update to the Google Backup & Sync app for MacOS and Windows 10 is rolling out that brings a lot of fixes and a few new features. The updated build is version 3.39 for those keeping score at home. This new build was released on February 1st so it is likely that you already have it installed as Google pushes updates to Backup & Sync behind the scenes.
For those who use Network-Attached Storage (NAS), this update is an important one for you as it is finally supported. You can now backup files and folders stored on a NAS to your Google Drive. The folder has to be mounted and you will be able to add a NAS folder from the My Computer section of Google Backup & Sync.
Continue reading “Google Backup & Sync Update Brings Network-Attached Storage Support”
Google Backup and Sync, the desktop app that synchronizes files with your Google Drive, has an update rolling out that brings a lot of feature improvements and fixes. The new build is version 3.38.7642.3857 for both Windows and MacOS. Given that updates to the app are done in the background, it is possible that you have already received this new update.
Google has laid out all of the changes in this update in the release notes but here are the highlights:
- You can now switch between syncing all files and folders versus photos and videos only. In Backup and Sync Preferences, click Change in the “My Computer” section to choose which files sync.
- You can now ignore files by extension. In the “My Computer” section of Backup and Sync Preferences, click ChangeAdvanced settings, and then enter the file extensions to ignore. Note that this applies only to directories on your computer, not to the “My Drive” folder.
- You can now right-click any folder and select Sync this folder to start syncing that folder to Google Drive.
- Users are now notified when Backup and Sync can’t convert photos to high quality.
- Fixed an issue where multiple copies of the executable were being created in Windows.
- Fixed an issue where quitting Backup and Sync was taking a long time.
- More bug fixes and performance improvements.
As you can see, it is an extensive list that addresses several issues with the app for both Windows and Mac users.
Continue reading “Google Backup and Sync Gets Big Improvements in Latest Update”